Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

change is good.

When I was a little girl, I spent my summers at home. There were no summer programs in the 1970's. So my summer memories are of my parents leaving for work at 7:45 a.m. and returning at 5:15 p.m. I spent the days with my big sister. And I also spent a lot of time alone.

circa 1973


Beth and I are 6 years apart in age. While I was writing on the chalkboard in my room (a sign of things to come), she was talking on the phone. For all those hours, we interacted sporadically and spent a lot of time doing things alone. This fact makes us both sad, now that we're adults and the bestest of friends. But it is what it is. And we did have one activity that brought us together! Swimming. We would go to the pool that was shared by 5 families in our cul-de-sac and spend afternoons in the sun. We returned as a bronze beauty (her) and a lobster (me). Sunscreen wasn't big in the 1970's either.

Many days while I was sitting alone in my room with tin foil on the windows to keep out the hot Oklahoma sun, I dreamed. I dreamed BIG. I would get out some paper, draw up a new floorplan to my room, and put the plan into motion. By the time my parents came home, I was sitting in a whole new room. I moved the bed, the dressers, the desk, all by myself. I'd make my bed, and clean and organize. And the new look would last a whole day. Or two. And then when the newness wore off, I'd let it get dirty. REALLY dirty. But that's another blog post.

So, today I want you to know that CHANGE is good. I've been making some plans for 2013, and I felt like my blog needed an update. An overhaul. I've started with the look. It's got some glitches, which annoys me. But I'll get them figured out eventually. And right about that time, I'll reveal my new name. It was inevetiable, you know. I won't be 39 for much longer. So this year, I launch newness. And I sincerely hope you'll enjoy coming along for the ride with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment