Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

bless his tender heart

Second grade. Ahhh, the sweet, sweet age when you read a fable about a cock and there's no question that they're talking about a rooster. Even though their teacher feels uncomfortable saying it, there are no snickers. No sideways glances. Yes, second grade is a precious and innocent time in life.

So it's no wonder that today in second grade, one of my students asked what tender-hearted means, which is ironic because she is.... And so I began to explain. "Tender-hearted means that you have a tender heart. Your heart feels things easily because it's so soft inside." As I'm wondering to myself if that explanation is adequate or appropriate, another friend in my class pipes up. He was near the tornadoes last May in Moore, Oklahoma and he gets skiddish with storms. And then I hear his, the sweetest little voice say:
"I think I had that last year when the storms came through? Yah, I think I did."

Bless.

I keep saying that I have the best class in the whole school. Do you see why now? These are the children I get to spend my days with. Precious, tender-hearted children.

No comments:

Post a Comment